TIRE & VEHICLE INFO:
Improve gas mileage
Improve gas mileage
To help you conserve money and resources, review this quick reference on tips to save gas. For a professional evaluation, find a Tire & Service Network location near you.
TIRE TIPS TO SAVE GAS
Fuel-efficient tires can save you a bundle at the gas pump. If you'd like to see exactly how much you could save by switching to fuel-efficient tires, check out our fuel savings calculator page. For more tips to save gas utilizing your tires, see the list below:
- Switching to fuel-efficient Assurance® Fuel Max® tires with low rolling resistance can help you use less gas. The fuel-saving tread compound provides low rolling resistance, reducing energy to help save up to 2,600 mi./4,000 km worth of gas over the life of four tires.1
- If you own a crossover or SUV, switching to fuel efficient Assurance® cs Fuel Max® tires with low rolling resistance can help you use less gas.1
- Give your tires some air. Underinflated tires lower your vehicle’s gas mileage by 0.3% for every 1 PSI drop in each tire.2
- NOTE: Underinflated tires can also reduce the life span of your tires.
- Replacing a clogged air filter can improve a vehicle's gas mileage by 10%.4
- Using the grade of motor oil recommended by the vehicle manufacturer can improve gas mileage by 1% to 2%.5
- Excess weight can reduce gas mileage by 1-2% for every 100 lb (45.36 kg), so travel light.
- Close the cap - 147 million gal. (5.6 million L) of gas evaporate every year from vehicles without gas caps.
- Avoid fast starts - aggressive acceleration can reduce gas mileage by 33%.6
- Stay in the shade. The hot summer temperatures cause a greater amount of evaporative emissions. Parking in the shade can help reduce that amount.
- Keep an eye on your spark plugs. A spark plug that misfires can lower your vehicle’s fuel-efficiency by up to 30%.7
- Respect the speed limits. Speeding is a fast way to pull down your fuel efficiency.
- Give the air-conditioning a break when possible. AC can bring your vehicle’s fuel economy down by 10-20%.7
- Take care of your engine. A simple tune-up has the potential to boost your miles per gallon from anywhere between 4% and 40%.7
VEHICLE MAINTENANCE TIPS TO SAVE GAS
Believe it or not, vehicle maintenance actually has a pretty big impact on your fuel savings. For example, regular vehicle maintenance can actually improve gas mileage by 4.1%.3 The vehicle maintenance tips and other tips below can help you utilize your vehicle to save on gas.
1 2,600 mi./4,000 km based on a 4% fuel economy improvement on 65,000 mi./105,000 km Tread Life Limited Warranty, as compared to the standard Goodyear Assurance® tire tested on P195/65R15 size – 2008 Honda Civic. Actual results may vary based on when tires are replaced, driving and road conditions, and proper tire maintenance.
2 "The Official U.S. Government Source For Fuel Economy Information"
3 "Gas Saving Tips for Memorial Day Weekend Driving,"
4 "For Summer Driving Tips, Goodyear Offers a Suitcase Full of Smart Travel Advice,"
5 U.S. Department of Energy
6 The recommendations and suggestions regarding product application and use that are offered on this Site are a guide in the use of this product and are not a guarantee to their performance. All listed products are or have been manufactured by Goodyear or one of its affiliate companies. This Site in no way constitutes an offer to sell any products. Goodyear makes reasonable efforts to ensure that the product information contained on this Site is correct. Product specifications and all other information shown on this Site are for information purposes only, are subject to change at any time without obligation, may vary from region to region, and may not be completely up-to-date or accurate.
7 "11 Car-Care Tips That Save Gas"